On Page Search Engine Optimization
The Ultimate Guide For 2020
This guide is written to be actionable.
Some of the optimizations are low-hanging fruit and can be done quickly and easily. Some will take more time and technical skill . You don’t need to do everything at once. You can keep coming back to this guide to continually improve the optimization of your pages.
This guide is for you if:
- You are planning to create content
- You have existing content that has not been optimised
- You want your content to be noticed by Google
- You want your content to perform well in search results pages
What is on-page seo?
Search Engine Optimization has two branches: on-page and off-page. The term ‘on-page SEO’ describes the optimization of individual pages in order to those pages more visible on search engine results pages.
Why it matters
The appearance and position of a link on a Search Engine Results Page (SERP) depends on:
- how relevant the search engine thinks that the page is.
- how trusted the search engine thinks that the page is.
- how authorative the search engine thinks that the page is.
Before Google can assess the value of a page Google needs to know that a page exists, know what the page is about, and know who the page is relevant to.
Google is very good at working out these things for itself.
However it has become extremely clear that Google rewards pages that have content and markup structure that help Google to understand the page.
Well-structured markup and content can have dramatic effects on search engine positioning.
Good content and structure can be built-in from the start of the content-creation process.